In fact, all the buildings in West Terschelling were burned down, except the church and the lighthouse "Brandaris".
Polish Air Force researcher Franek Grabowski, we now know more about these 16 prisoners of war.
Though we cannot at present put names to faces he has helped us know who most of those servicemen were and their interesting history.
During the war and in the time before, he was shopkeeper / owner of a business in tools, ironware, electrical and household goods, in the Raad-huisstraat in West-Terschelling, later on in the Willem Barendszstraat (during the war he was hiding his photo-camera and some picture-film-material, preserved for liberation day and after the war).
These men, including the policeman, were all POWs in the last months of the war, and brought to Terschelling by the Germans, because the "road to Germany" was already closed by the Allied forces, due to the progress of their actions in Northeast Holland (March - April 1945).
It could be an enemy defence line, with some watchful soldiers on top, looking out into their direction of course..?